Wednesday, June 07, 2006

27

Yes, that's right. 27. Not 24 although that is the name of one of my favorite TV shows. 27. That's how old I turned on Saturday. Yes, Mom, I know that 27 is closer to 30 than 20...we went over this last year! Love you! Anyway, June 3, 1979 is the infamous day that I joined the journey and I don't think I've slowed down since. I figure today would be a good day to recap all the festivities of the day...it's a good thing I've had the time 'cause I've had to re-write this at least, well, too many times due to "temporary maintenance issues" with blogger. Bah. It was probably better last time... anyway, I digress. Back to the real story at hand.

First I went to Shauntelle and Davar's wedding. Congrats guys! It was fantastic. It was such a blessing to see two people come together who obviously share their love for their Savior. Not to mention how amazing it was to be a part of a celebration where two families are godly. There was no question that God was in the center of that celebration or that couple. Shauntelle's cousin, the emcee for the reception, said it well when he said he felt that being a part of the wedding he'd been at church. That's exactly what it was. That's really what it's about folks! God was glorified in our celebration and I pray that He will continue to be blessed by the life and ministry of His children, Davar and Shauntelle.

It was fun, too, to be at a wedding where I was meeting the groom for the first time. That's never been the case for me before and was definitely interesting. He seems fantastic - exactly what I'd have hoped for my friend Shauntelle!

Now, I normally don't get too mushy personal on here but there's more to be said about why I enjoyed the wedding so much. Here's the scoop...it was such a great reminder to me of the way that God cares and provides for His children. Shauntelle and I have often talked about what it's like to be a single woman in the church and in society, having been two of a small few to graduate from Bible College without a "ring before spring." We have prayed about God's provision of a godly man to share life and ministry with. We have talked about what that would be like and how our lives and ministries would be better because of it. We've also talked about how to be content as single women as God would allow. Now God has provided for Shauntelle and man that seems so perfectly matched for her in so many areas...in hobbies (sports for sure), in sense of humor, family backgrounds, ministry passion (he's a pastor too!), and in love for Christ. Plus he absolutely adores her. Shauntelle deserves nothing less. I'm thankful. Thankful for Shauntelle's sake but thankful for mine as well. God does not forget his children and he's concerned about all areas of their lives. Okay, so weddings, particularly weddings on my birthday, make me a wee bit sentimental.

On we go. After that I went out for dinner at BP's with some friends of mine. It was great. Plus, they make this absolutely decadent desert there called the chocolate explosion. It's simply heaven. That was a good treat for a b-day, that's for sure!

Next (yes, there's more! Good thing for early weddings), I went to a benefit event that some friends' band was playing at. It was a fundraiser for breast cancer but let's face it, I was there for the band. Gradenko. That's their name. They were fantastic. The guys played and I hung out with the girls. We laughed, visited, took pictures, enjoyed good music and good company. It was a great evening. I figure the boys should have a gig on my birthday every year!!

All in all, it was a great day. Most of all, I was reminded that God has surrounded me with some great people (you know who you are!!!).

No comments: