Friday, August 04, 2006

God created and it was good

I've been thinking a lot about creation lately. Maybe it's the trip to the Denver Zoo I recently took - only God is creative enough to come up with some of those animals. Perhaps it's summertime that does it. It could be the longer commute and the chance to observe the mountains from a distance for a little longer each day. Then there's the hailstorms and...oh, so much to see and He made it all! Anyway, all that preamble is just so that I could post this quote that I found this morning!

If we valued the works of nature as much as the works and deeds of people, we would all be richer by far. Any ancient forest, polar bear or species of snake is more complex and improbable than WiFi, the Mona Lisa or landing a man on the moon. What price would you pay to keep such treasures?

-- Jenny DaltryHerpetologist and National Geographic Emerging Explorer.


Do we really value creation? What price would we pay? As Christians, what is our role in caring for God's creating, in stewarding it as God intended before the fall? I confess, I'm not much of an environmentalist in the 'treehugger' sense of the word but I know there are things that I could do. What were those 3 R's they talked about in elementary school? Oh ya, reduce, reuse, recyle and recover. Wait. That's 4. See what I mean!? As communities of Christians, how do we protect what God has given us? What steps do we need to take? Where do we take a stand?

Any thoughts?


These are some pics I've taken over the summer...Who but God could have thought up the anteater, I mean, really?! Oooo and check out the monkey's moustache!

No comments: