Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Some Like It Hot

I have a confession. I am one of those people that thrives off of a 30 degree day...a whole labor day weekend is nearly perfect! Love it! I love the labor day weekend anyway but to have weather that great is seriously somewhere near heaven!!!

I think I have grown to love the labor day weekend a lot more since working at the college. For one thing, we are always done registration on the Friday of the weekend and so for the first time since last labor day, the pressure is off, even if it is only momentarily. What's done is done and they're here....They're here! I love my students and they've all come home. So there it is, my kids are home, the new ones have arrived and no one is pestering me for guestimates ('cause that's all they are!) about numbers for the fall! So point number one is that there is no stress. Point two is that my kids are back.

Then there's the fact that its typically still warm - this year even hot - and it's three whole days for me to enjoy doing exactly what I want to be doing. I travel throughout July and miss the July long weekend, I'm too flustered to really enjoy the August one if I'm not on the road for that tone too but then there's September and it's mine! Whoa hoo...summer and freedom, the way it was meant to be. Are we noticing that I thrive in the summertime yet?! Ah sweet glorious summer...I should live on the beach forever!!

So let's summerize (get it...oh the cheese) my hot labor day weekend for you...

Wander the mall with Lisa on Friday. Fun conversation. Didn't spend money but really could have! If I had a million dollars...sing the song...there you go, that's more fun already, isn't it!?

Sister showed up for the weekend. Spent Saturday with her and a bunch of friends, including a great friend from Edmonton (yes, they are great up there too!) who is practically my cousin, making cards, drinking coffee and just generally enjoying each other's company. Then a few of us BBQ'd and played Trivial pursuit in the evening. We keep playing these crazy thinker games that most people wouldn't get into but really do seem to enjoy ourselves. I think part of the trick is making up our own rules...and in trivial pursuit, hints always help...well, most of the time they help (starts with L, ends with door...how can you not get El Salvador out of that!?).

Sunday we went to Oak Park in the morning and I got to play the grand piano. What a morning! Steve preached a fantastic sermon. I'm going to miss learning from him and with him every Sunday morning when I go to Journey! Anyway, then we went to Sikome lake afterwards. Growing up, a typical Sunday afternoon would often include taking the boat and going to the lake. While we didn't have the boat, it was just so great to be back on the beach. I really am a summer girl!!! So we enjoyed the sun, the fun and, again, good friends. Isn't that what summer is all about!? Oh how I have missed those days...but there they were. To top it all off, I actually slept a full 7.5 hours that night (that's a big deal in my world, okay!?).

Monday the fun kept going with the labor day classic football game. Now, even though the Eskies lost, I had a great time and, to Tara's relief, I didn't get us beat up...as much as I did want to get a little bit of chatter going with the loudmouth behind me. Thank goodness for self control!
A jam packed weekend and yet I came back to work on Tuesday feeling far better than I have in a long time!

Photos to come later...I can't seem to make blogger's picture poster thinger work...arg! Maybe tomorrow....

No comments: