Saturday, October 14, 2006

Congrats Smytty!


Okay, so, preparing for teaching the professional development sessions on Thursday night, I missed the Edmonton-San Jose game. While I was sad to miss the game, I knew I needed to work on the session (which, by the way was such a good thing for me). I didn't realize how much I'd missed until our orientation meeting with the whole team on Friday night, when I heard, from a friend of mine who had been at the game that:

Ryan Smyth scores a natural hat trick, the fastest hat trick in Edmonton Oiler history, just over 2 minutes, beating Wayne Gretzky's previous record, scoring his 500th and 501st career goals and helping the Oilers take the lead! Seriously! How do I miss these things!? Not to mention that they came from behind 4-1 to win it 6-4 and that San Jose, favored to win the cup, just creamed Calgary earlier in the week. I hate missing things like that...

But I wouldn't have minded missing this! The Eskies lost to Toronto again to sucessfully eliminate themselves from the playoffs. That stops the longest run of successive playoff appearances in the CFL at 24 years. How do you go from winning the Grey Cup one year to missing the playoffs the next?!

Ah, at least there's hockey. I'm off to watch Edmonton and the Avalanche in my hotel room!

No comments: