Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Parting is such sweet sorrow

I have to confess, this parting has nothing to do with sweet but everything to do with sorrow. While rumoured, I don't think anyone in the NHL world thought this could possibly happen. Smytty, my dear Ryan Smyth, proud wearer of the blue and gold for 12 years, fan favorite and team leader, was traded today to the New York Islanders. Traded. To the Islanders.

Following today’s trade, Oilers General Manager, Kevin Lowe said, and I quote from an email straight from the team, “I want to be very clear that making this trade today is a hockey decision. It was not financial. The CBA we operate with in the NHL today means you need to have a sound hockey strategy and stick to it. Today we turned a page for sure – but this is not as much about the Oilers today, but what we continue to do as part of an overall plan. Our decision is about the direction we want to take and the opportunities we have today and tomorrow with the brilliant young players we have acquired and those we have in the organization. I want everyone to know that our decision was much more to do with a plan than a reaction. Ryan is taking a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Our opportunity is to have a sound strategy for the future.I would also like to say that Ryan Smyth has contributed a great deal over 12 seasons here in Edmonton. He should be thanked for his contribution on the ice and in the community.”


Oilers President and Chief Executive Officer, Patrick LaForge added “While on the one hand some Oilers fans might be distressed that this trade was made today, I want those same fans to be assured that the Oilers will use these excellent young players and our own deep pool of young talent in a new plan for this team. We can afford to spend the money necessary to have the kind of elite players expected. This was about the Oilers staying true to a plan. I know our hockey strategy is sound.”


Can I point out that that's a fancy way of covering up the fact that they couldn't come to a deal and, remembering the fan outcry in situations like, say, Gretzky, Messier, and, more recently, Pronger, had to come up with some official way to hopefully smooth the ice (no pun intended) and make it sound like this was intentional move that will one day (somewhere in the far, far future) actually benefit the team?! Of course. Say it's "strategy."


If you haven't read that yet, I'm not happy about this. I'm sad to see Smytty go. What can I say!? Do I think that it was a move that shows that they've given up on this season? Likely. Do I think there's hope for the years to come? Maybe. I sure hope so. As they say, they're a young team with potential. To be fair, Smytty came to us as a young guy too.
All I know is that Kevin Lowe et al better be sleeping with one eye open for the next little while. I'm expecting fans in Edmonton to get a little nasty over the whole thing.
And, 9 points back from 8th spot, we better see some of those young guys step up quick. Hemsky? Pisani? Come on boys!!!

4 comments:

Markus said...

I sorta feel your pain. When Bertuzzi got traded I felt some angst about the whole deal. But we got Roberto in the trade. This trade just tells me that the OIL are ready to give up and they have no loyalty to guy like Smitty. They say it's just hockey business but I say thats a load of doo doo. He's the guy, he's Mr Edmonton garbage guy. Well at least he has Marc-Andre in NY.

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

Bunch a jerks quitting at this point in the season...Mr. Edmonton garbage guy and we love him. I don't care if there's company for him in NY. The only way this trade could have been worse is if he'd have gone to Calgary. Seriously!!!

Anna said...

Sorry about your Smytty :( We'll be in the same boat next year with Iginla I'm sure...

Unknown said...

Just wanted to mention that Smith's departure was the main topic of conversation during one of the local sports shows here (hey, it's Minnesota after all). Was the dispute really over just $100,000? If that's true, the Oilers are sacrificing a lot (including a lot of intangible benefits) over a relatively small amount.