Thursday, March 08, 2007

Emerging from Emerge


I've decided that there are 5 days that are the highlights of my year at work; 5 days in which I'm truly in my element. The first two are registration days in September and January. They're days that are full, a mixture of event planning/coordination and advising as students arrive and allow me a chance to see the fruits of my work. They're days where I truly feel like I have a purpose at the college.

The other 3 days form the weekend of Emerge, our open house weekend at ABC. I don't even know what it is but I feel like I'm in my element. Truthfully, the first year that I did it I was stressed to the max but now that I've figured things out a bit, I love the weekend. Even the week leading up to it, as full as it is, is great! Days go by fast - there's definitely no looking for things to do! I'm able to spend time with the students as we work together to host the weekend. Have I mentioned recently that I love my students?! Man, they're amazing!!! I get to meet and greet new friends and old as they come from all across Western Canada to join us. There's the planning and hosting of the event that I love. I guess I'm all about being in the middle of the action! Have I mentioned that I get to spend concentrated time with the students? Seriously, I love that part. I come out of the weekend completely exhausted and ready for a week of naps but somehow refreshed at the same time. There's something to be said for working out of a place of your strengths.

I was chatting with one of my students Sunday afternoon and he affirmed what I was feeling saying that he could tell that I was completely in my element for the weekend. He 'politely suggested' that I should find a job where I can be in that sort of position more than once a year. He went on to say that it's too bad that my role at the college is not more mentoring focused as he sees that as my place of strength and ability. He's right too - that's the part of my job, more than anything, that I love.

Now, back to the weekend. We had over 100 visitors, both youth leaders and students. We fed well over 150 people. Friday Night Live, our very own Saturday Night Live-esque event, was fabulous. Hunter continued to scare the bejeebers out of me all weekend. Keith Shields and Storm Moore presented fabulous messages and the music team did a fabulous job in leading us to worship through song. The amazing race was a hit although a lot of wet kids and a lingering order of smelly feet filled the building immediately following. Seriously, I don't think I've ever smelt anything so bad! The flour power game was a blast - who knew that you could have so much fun with a bag of flour and some panty hose!? Speech contest participants did a fabulous job. Honestly, it was one of those years where I wish we could have given more than one scholarship. No fire trucks visited which, surprisingly enough, was a step up from last year. Even clean up was fun and went well. Who could ask for anything more?

All in all it was a great weekend and I'm thankful!


To see pictures, they're posted at www.spareparts.shutterfly.com. Hopefully I'll be able to add some of the ones some of my students took soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you'd be perfect in our campus events coordinator position (yes we have one person to just do our admissions events). Unfortunately, it's filled at Bethel (by one of my best friends at work), but other colleges and universities maybe? Bigger Christian schools?

Marnie said...

Well actually Stacey, ask Brendan about the fire truck on Sunday night...
Just saying...

Stephen said...

It was great to read you positive report on your weekend. Tomorrow is Peace It Together or PIT. Our weekend of admissions insanity. I'm really looking forward to it, but I think I'm already tired.