Monday, April 30, 2007

Venture Teams International


Last week I had the privilege of spending my days out at the VTI training center for their focus week. VTI is a missions organization that sends teams of young adults to do evangelism work all around the world. Their focus week is held in their second week home from their overseas time (for some as long as 7 months). It is a privilege to spend this week with them. Their experiences are fresh in their minds and they are incredibly aware of the work that God is capable of doing - they have seen it first hand...and in that, there is life.

In addition to the inspiration and joy the students themselves are - and that would be enough, really, since they're absolutely inspiring - the week itself is a blessing.

First, the training center is far enough off "the beaten path" that it seems as if it is a retreat. There is very little internet, scarce cell phone reception, little radio and no tv. What there is is plenty of silence, conversation, fresh air and rest...and in that, there is life.

I was able to speak with other college reps and hear how God is moving in their institutions...in His institutions. It was refreshing, exciting and encouraging to hear of the changes that are being worked in institutions around the country...and in that, there is life.

Through the stories of the teams, my fellow reps, and the words of the speaker for the week, I truly believe that God spoke to me about the power of prayer. Sometimes the truth hurts. I was convicted of the fact that I don't spend enough time in prayer. I don't truly turn things over to God the way I desire too...at least not often enough. Even as the truth sunk in, however, I had the time and the place to begin putting it all into practice. I spent time in prayer, both on my own and with my brothers and sisters that were there. I journalled. I read Scripture. I shared stories of what God is doing in my world with honesty and authenticity...and in that, there is life.

There is life. Coming home, that's how I feel. A little more alive. A little more refreshed. I know that there will be lots to do in the next little while and I know there is much that could distract me but I know that God's promise for me is life, should I chose to live it.

No comments: