Monday, May 07, 2007

Current Read


The funny thing is that I'm only partly kidding about these being my current, or at least most recent, reads.













I had the privilege of spending most of my weekend with some great little people. On Saturday I helped my friend, Reinette, host a spa party for her daughter's birthday. We had a living room full of 9 year olds being spoiled. It was so fun and, truthfully, a little funny to watch as these girls became little ladies, if even just for the afternoon. Facials, manicures and pedicures for all! I looked over at one point and there were 3 little girls with their feet resting in the foot spa, reading their magazine, drinking orange juice from champagne flutes and chatting just like grown ups. I guess some of that is just instinctual for us ladies! It struck me how when we're young, we long to be grown up, idealizing and romanticizing the adult world...then we get there and look back and long for the days of our childhood. What I wouldn't give for someone to tell me that it's time for an afternoon nap!!
Sunday I got to hang out with Fred and Tasha's little darlings, Samantha and Nathan, while they went out to celebrate their anniversary (Happy Anniversary, guys! Hope you had a great time). This is where the Dr. Suess books came in. Sammy and I read all three of them several times during the day! Anyway, that's how I spent my Sunday and I have to admit that I think those two are seriously two of the cutest kids alive. I love hanging out with them! Nathan is such a content little guy with a killer smile. I wish I could be more like that! Samantha amazes me, really. Perhaps this is all little kids, but I was reminded again of the innocence of childhood and to take joy in the little things. We were outside enjoying the sun and she spent most of our time fascinated with bugs, not quite ready to touch them mind you, and splashing in the water in her little water table. That's joy...for both of us, although I think mine was because of her.
There certainly is a reason that we are told to approach God as a little child. There really is something to it.
Hang out with a little kid or two for even a couple hours. You'll see what I mean. They are pretty good teachers, too. And, if nothing else, you get to read some Dr. Seuss without anyone questioning your reading level...or maturity. It's great!!





1 comment:

Stephen said...

You've spoken words of very profound truth regarding kids.

That's about all I want to say.